Prepare Your Home For Photography
This is a list of things to do before the photographer comes out to your home to make sure your house looks it’s best. It is best practice to have this done before the photographer comes out so they are not waiting for you to do this while they are there.
- Thoroughly clean the entire house. Vacuum carpets, mop floors, dust furniture, put away dishes, make beds, put away shoes and jackets, and clean the toilets, tubs and windows.
- Turn on all overhead lights and lamps
- Replace any lightbulbs that are burned out. Keep all similar lighting sources with similar types of bulbs. It does not matter to keep consistent bulbs throughout the house but in each room and light source they should be consistent, so if you have a lamp on either side of the bed they should have the same luminosity temperture. The same goes for over head lighting.
- Turn off all ceiling fans
- Turn off all computer screens and televisions
- Open blinds and curtains to let the outside light in
- remove all personal photographs and replace with landscapes and other general art
- Make all beds
- Put all of the shoes and jackets in the closet
- Remove cars from the driveway
- Close the garage doors
- Clean up the landscaping
- Remove cobwebs from eaves and door frames
- Remove hoses
- Remove hoses
- Remove Toys, bikes, balls, etc..
- Clean the pool, and hide pool toys and supplies
- Remove trash cans
- Clear most items from the countertops
- Clear off the refrigerator of magnets, pictures, etc..
- Hide garbage cans
- Remove dishes from the sink
- Clear Table, Dust and Polish
- Use decorative place settings if you have them available
- Use a centerpiece if you have, like flowers
- Straighten and evenly space the chairs
- Remove children’s toys
- Arrange pillows and throw blankets
- Clean the fireplace interior
- Clear off the fireplace mantle, just a few items is ok
- Remove stacks of magazines and newspapers
- Make the bed with clean and pressed linens
- Remove all personal items from the nightstands
- Remove clutter from the top of the dresser
- Remove items from beneath the bed
- Remove family photos from the walls
- Remove personalized names from the walls
- Remove stickers and posters from the walls
- Clean under the bed
- Remove Items for the countertop like toothbrushes, soap, razors, deodorant, etc..
- Put the toilet seat down
- Remove floor mats and dirty towels
- remove items like shampoo, soap, loofahs, etc. from the shower/tub
- Remove the floor mats
- Clear the yard of pet waste
- Store food bowels and pet beds and toys out of sight in a closet or garage
- Keep large pets in a crate
- Use a lint roller on furniture to remove hair
When you prepare as much of this as possible before the photographer arrives it will make for a much better photography session, resulting in better photographs and ultimately result in a higher priced sale of the listing. If you have any questions please call us for a free consultation. Call us at 630-478-9955. Thank you and we look forward to photographing your real estate listing.